West Ewell Primary School Pupil Premium Grant Report
At West Ewell Primary School we have the very highest expectations of, and aspirations for, all our pupils. Our Governing committee share our belief that every pupil should have equal opportunities to achieve the best possible life chances, and where no child gets left behind.
We a committed to ensuring that disadvantaged pupils receive outstanding support and believe that our core purpose is to ensure all of our pupils make excellent progress as a result of outstanding teaching. The Department for Education (DfE) provides an additional Pupil Premium Grant (PPG) to all schools based on the number of pupils eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) and the number of children who are looked after (CLA) and the aim of PPG is to support schools in raising the achievement of the most disadvantaged pupils.
In making provision for socially disadvantaged pupils, we recognise that not all pupils who receive free school meals will be socially disadvantaged. We also recognise that not all pupils who are socially disadvantaged are registered or qualify for free school meals. We reserve the right to allocate the Pupil Premium Grant to support any pupil or groups of pupils the school has legitimately identified as being socially disadvantaged
As a school, we recognise that it is not the funding itself that will improve achievement and attainment, but how it is used. The Department for Education (DfE) expects us to use PPG appropriately and to be accountable for the decisions we make.
At West Ewell Primary School, we use a range of strategies, including the effective deployment of staff and resources which are targeted to the needs of individual pupils. Our approach:
- Focus on quality first teaching
- Collect and analyse data on groups and individual pupils, and monitor this over time
- Identify the main barriers to learning for disadvantaged children
- Put interventions in place when progress has slowed
- Engage with parents and carers in the education of their child
- Refer to existing evidence about the effectiveness of different strategies
- Train all classroom staff in the strategies being used in school
- Secure staff commitment to the importance of the pupil premium agenda